Monday, January 11, 2010

Quinoa- Lentil Soup


I had it in for him in freshman year in high school. He was funny, nice, and handsome. But he was very much out of my league. He ended asking me to prom, where we found out we had much in common with our love for the outdoors, and extracurricular activities. He only fell short in one category; he hates hot liquids, which includes soup. But, I married him anyway!

I love soup! Whether it is Split Pea with Yam, Tomato Tarragon, Faux Clam Chowder, or Cream of Corn; I will happily partake! My perfect meal during the winters is soup, salad, and bread. That combination seems to please every aspect of my palate for texture, flavor, nutrition, and uuummppphhh. My husband Kevin would be particularly happy if I gave up this adoration. But, he is kind enough not to turn up his nose when I prepare soup for dinner, and has even come to love my Creamy Potato Leek Soup. Thank God!

What I love most about soup is that you can pretty much throw the kitchen sink into it, and have it turn out great. Tonight, I prepared a simple Quinoa-Lentil soup that I served alongside garlic rosemary sourdough twists, and grilled asparagus with a balsamic glaze and red pepper confetti. I thought to pass along the soup recipe to my readers. I hope you enjoy it. I know I certainly did.


Quinoa-Lentil Soup
Yield: 6 servings

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 stalk celery, medium dice
1 carrot, medium dice
1/4 cup Vidalia onion, medium dice
1 tsp. Garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 cup brown lentils
1/2 cup pre-cooked quinoa
1 bouillon cube (Organic Gourmet)
1 tsp. Ground dried thyme
1/2 tsp. Dried rosemary
5 cups water
salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Sauté miripoix: Celery, Carrot, Onion, and Garlic with Olive oil in soup pot
2. When the miripoix is tender, add bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and lentils to mix. Sauté together for 5 minutes.
3. Add water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, and then allow cooking for 35-40 minutes at on simmer. Lentils should be soft at this point. Add pre-cooked quinoa for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment