Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tomato Tarragon Soup


This soup has a reputation of its own! It has been talked about for so long, that I felt left out not having tasted it. The recipe belongs to my friend Ramsey Dau. He so graciously shared it with me, and is allowing me to share it with you. It’s his Tomato Tarragon soup, a soup worth tasting! It’s slow cooking allows for the tomatoes to marinate in the broth of onion, garlic, and herbs into a divine Italian richness.

Accompanied by hearty country wheat crisps, I ladled myself two bowls for dinner last night before retiring some for my lunch today. A master of his own kind, I am anxious to see what other recipes he has up his sleeves! This one is certainly going into my recipe index. It was heavenly. Thanks Ramsey!

Tomato Tarragon Soup
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 red onion, small dice
2 tsp. Minced garlic or 4-6 cloves of garlic thinly chopped
6 Roma tomatoes, large dice- 1”
1 –2 Heirloom tomatoes, large dice – 1”
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
Dash cayenne
3 tsp. Dried tarragon or 6 stems of fresh
4 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I like Organic Gourmet)
2 Tbsp. fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
*** Optional*** Fresh squeezed juice from 1 small lemon

Directions:
Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Chop tomatoes and add to sauté mix. Add brown sugar and cayenne and stir. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes on low. Chop tarragon, add half and cook for 15 more minutes. Add water and bouillon cubes. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Add remainder of tarragon and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a remaining 10 minutes. Garnish with the juice of one lemon, if desired. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment