Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hey There Pudding


Whenever I am able to leave my two kids home with my husband to do the grocery shopping, it becomes an enjoyable outing, as opposed to a stress-filled rushed one. A reminder, my daughters are four and one.

When I shop with them, its “I want this, I want that”. “She hit me!” I am sure if you have children of your own, you know how the rest goes. While I weave in and out of the tightly woven aisles trying to avoid hitting people as my oldest refuses to stop hanging on the side and almost knocking down products, my youngest cries and tries to kick her sister and begs for food. It becomes a race against the clock.

But, Trader Joe’s is known for its new products. A personal mission of mine to try the Vegetarian newcomers keeps me always on the prowl.

This latest shopping trip, as my children were at home, I was able to take my time and browse the aisles. Indeed, I found something new as usual, instant vanilla and chocolate pudding. The packaging sold me, simple design with a retro vintage style. Though the products are Vegetarian, they claim that the product will not set with use of soy or rice milk.
They didn’t mention almond.

For those who are Vegan and want to try these products, I chose to use almond milk. I placed the 2 cups of cold milk into a saucepan and added 1 Tbsp. of Arrowroot powder. I dissolved the powder in the milk and furthered reduced it to insure it was “milk” consistency. I also think using the soy creamer might work, as it is milk texture. Anyways, after reducing the milk, I allowed it to cool then placed it in the refrigerator for 1 hour. I then followed the remaining directions and found the product set as needed.

If you aren’t able to make your own pudding, and prefer a pudding that is soy free, this is a great alternative. It is simple, shelf stable, and pretty tasty. I think it’d make a great pie, though I just ate mine in a parfait cup with a dollop of Vegan whipped crème. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! And I LOVE going to the grocery store by myself and slowly perusing the aisles for new products!

    ReplyDelete